We talked about succulents a little while ago and their popularity shows no sign of waning. We’re helping a couple Bloom clients to style some cacti up as two-in-one favours and name cards for their wedding next month, and it’s such a lovely idea to give your guests something living to take home (that they’ll actually want to keep!).
Cute as they are, succulents and cacti often come in non-descript black or brown plastic containers, which could do with a little jazzing up. I won’t share our clients styling DIY yet so as not to spoil the surprise for their guests, but here’s another super quick and easy way to spruce up your pots, whether for your wedding or simply to dot around the house.
NB. I brought these sweet little cacti are from Wilko for £1.50 each as I only wanted three for this project, but if you need a larger quantity of 10+ ask your florist to source them for you as it works out cheaper if you buy in bulk.
Cacti wedding favour DIY
What you’ll need:
- Collection of cacti or succulents
- Plastikote spray paint
- Dymo embossing label maker (find a selection here)
- Scrap newspaper
- Water spray
- Gardening gloves (optional)
- Gently squeeze the pots and carefully remove the plants – they should pop out quite easily with soil and roots intact (be careful with the prickles if you’re not using gloves). Set aside on some newspaper.
- Brush off any soil and set out the pots upside down on some newspaper. You can do a quite a few at once, but allow enough space between them so you can spray all around.
- Following the spray paint instructions, apply an even coat of paint to each pot and set aside to dry (about 10 minutes).
- Meanwhile, get to work on your labels with the Dymo.
- When the paint is touch dry, apply a second coat and allow to dry. This may be sufficient, but you may want to apply a third coat for more vibrancy.
- The cacti may have dried out a little while out of their pots, so spritz lightly with water spray and pop them back in.
- Apply your labels and you’re done!
The finished pots and cacti look so sweet you certainly don’t need a wedding to try out this DIY. My three little guys are happy sitting on the mantelpiece and bring a pretty pop of neon to the living room.
Looking for lots more unique and stylish ideas to personalise your wedding? Get in touch and let us help with inspiration and expert advice.